Setting Up USC Voicemail
What USC Voice Mail Messaging Can Do for You
With USC voice mail messaging, you can easily send and receive voice messages 24 hours a day. When you send a message directly from your mailbox to another mailbox, the receiver can send you a reply immediately - without hanging up and calling you back. No more phone tag, incomplete messages, or missed calls.
How to Set Up Your Mailbox
The first time you access your mailbox, you will need to complete a brief setup process. Just follow the voice prompts to:
Change your security code.
Your temporary security code is "TROJAN" (876526). As prompted, change your code to a new six-character code. You cannot use "trivial" codes such as 123456 or 111111.
- Record your name for your mailbox.
- Record your name and your department name.
- Record a greeting for callers.
- Refer to the sample greetings below for scripts you can use.
- Sample Greetings
- Standard greeting: "Hello, this is (your name and department name). I'm sorry I missed your call. Please leave your name and telephone number and a detailed message, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."
- Daily greeting: "Hello, this is (your name) in (department name). Today is Monday, October 5, and I'll be out of the office until two o'clock. I will be checking messages throughout the day, so please leave your name, telephone number, and a detailed message, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."
- If you have a personal assistant (Press Zero Option), you may add this option to your greeting: "If you would like to speak to someone now, press zero and you will be connected to [your personal assistant's name]."
How to Access Your Voice Mailbox
Follow these steps whenever you need to access your mailbox.
From Your Desk Phone:
- Call USC Voice Messaging.
- Dial extension 05600.
- Press the # key twice.
- Note: If you share an extension with someone, press # once and enter your mailbox number when prompted.
- Enter your security code (password).
- The first time you call your mailbox, enter the temporary security code "TROJAN" (876526).
- From Another User's Desk Phone or from Any Other Phone:
Call USC Voice Messaging.
On campus, dial extension 05600. From any touch-tone phone, dial 213-740-5600. Dial extension 05555 for assistance.
- Press the # key.
- Press the # key on your phone set.
- Enter your mailbox number.
- Your mailbox number matches the last five digits of your telephone number, which is the same as your five-digit extension number.
- Enter your security code.
- Note: If you share an extension with someone, for assistance in setting up your mailbox, contact Telecommunications Services at extension 03880 and press 0.
- Need Help?
- You may press 0 at anytime while you are in your voice mailbox to access help. For additional assistance, or to report a problem, call the 24-hour USC Voice Messaging Help Line at 213-740-7300. Please be ready to provide the Help Line representative with your mailbox number, which is the same as your extension. If you are reporting an error in message delivery, please note the time the message was received and save the message, if possible.
Problems or questions can be addressed by sending an email to email@example.com or calling 213-740-0517.
Published on September 22nd, 2017
Last updated on November 22nd, 2022