Viterbi IT, the School’s central IT, services the following core set of IT services to current tenured, tenure-track, and full time teaching faculty within the School. Viterbi IT will provide IT support to faculty members in ASTE, BME, CEE, CHEMS, CS, Data Science, ECE-EP, Engineering in Society Program, ISE, and Information Technology Program. Faculty members in AME and ECE-S, please refer to your respective department’s IT group.
- Computer (desktop and laptop) support service
- Trouble shooting
- Patch management
- Setting up a new computer
- General assistance to improve security posture
- Mobile devices - Activation, Configuration, and Email setup
- Shared network storage.
- Shared calendars and collaboration tool.
- Online data backup (Code42 CrashPlan)
For additional information, please read below.
Computer Support Plans
Faculty in ASTE, BME, CEE, CHEMS, CS, Data Science, ECE-EP, Engineering in Society Program, ISE, and Information Technology Program will be supported by Viterbi IT. Faculty members in these departments may choose a computer support plan on a per computer basis. Each faculty member may enroll up to two computers.
Faculty in AME or ECE-S should inquire with your respective department’s IT group for service scope and availability.
Enrolling your Computer in a Support Plan
Eligible faculty may self-enroll computers to a computer support service plan of your choice at MyViterbi web portal.
- Go to http://myviterbi.usc.edu
- Login using your USC NetID credentials and Duo2FA
- Select “Equipment Inventory Manager” tool
- Select “Request New Computer Service Enrollment” option
This plan is most appropriate for the following types of users:
- Users who have desktop computer on USC campus.
- Users who do not want to deal with software installation, upkeep, maintenance. This includes OS patching and updates.
- Users who do not want or need to tinker with their computers but just want it to work.
- Viterbi IT will retain administrator rights on the computer. User will not have administrator rights.
- User will use a standard account for every day computing.
- Automated Windows update and patching.
- Automated Microsoft Office update and patching.
- Automatic mapping of network drives where applicable.
- Other software update and patching. Some example, Firefox, Adobe Reader, QuickTime, Safari.
- Access to school-licensed software such as Microsoft Office productivity suite.
- Software installation assistance – faculty must provide appropriate license key for other licensed software.
- Installation, setup and restoration of Network backups. The user will also have the option to set up and restore data personally.
- Computer equipment is tagged for identification purposes only and does not denote ownership. Tags assist with tracking software installations for licensing purposes.
- Computer hardware and software troubleshooting.
- For out of warranty hardware, costs of parts and of any repairs by non-Viterbi IT personnel is the responsibility of the faculty member.
Published on October 9th, 2019
Last updated on April 20th, 2022