What is Viterbi MyDesktop?
Viterbi MyDesktop (VDI or Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) is the virtual computing resource available to students of select engineering classes.
Viterbi MyDesktop is intended to provide Viterbi students with access to engineering and scientific software packages whose licensing terms prohibit their installation on personally owned computers, involve complex installation procedures, or require elevated hardware resources for satisfactory experience. The intent is to provide access to installed software on any device from anywhere and at any time.
You can access the VDI by clicking here
Please note that this is different from the USC ITS administered Cloudapps. For more information on Cloudapps, please click on this link.
Virtual Desktop Pools
Viterbi MyDesktop currently uses VMWare Horizon virtual desktop technology. Virtual desktops supported on MyDesktop run Windows software only.
- General Desktop with light 3D graphics acceleration.
- Enhanced Desktop with heavier 3D graphics requirements.
- C-Enhanced Desktop with higher computational requirements with modest 3D graphics requirements.
- Forensics Desktop with higher computational requirements with modest 3D graphics requirements. This pool is sandboxed.
Who has access to Viterbi MyDesktop?
All Viterbi classes have access to the Enhanced and General desktop pools.
My class has access. How do I get on?
Please click MyDesktop Logon Instructions for the step by step PDF.
How do I request for software to be installed?
Please click here for how to request installation of new instructional software
Troubleshooting Common Viterbi MyDesktop Login Problems
Before reaching out for help, try the following:
- If you are unable to login with the HTML5 method, have you tried downloading the Horizon client and see if you are able to login?
- If you are unable to login with the Horizon client, have you tried using the HTML5 to login?
- If you are using the Horizon client, are you using the latest version? If you have a Mac and running Bootcamp, you could try both the Windows and Mac version of Horizon client to see which works better for you.
- Are you using your USC Net ID and the correct password? If you are not sure, try logging into myViterbi. If you can’t log in to that either, there’s something wrong with your username, password or both. Please contact ITS at (213) 740-5555 to confirm your USC Net ID and or reset your password.
If the above fails, please contact your faculty or TA for assistance. If your faculty redirects you to Viterbi IT for help logging into myViterbi or if your class does not have a TA, please email Viterbi IT at email@example.com. Please provide the following information:
- Computer Operating System and version you are using. For example, Windows 7, Windows 10, Mac OSX El Capitan…
- Are you using the Horizon client? If yes, which version did you download and install?
- Your USC Net ID. Do NOT send your password.
- The class you are in that requires access to MyDesktop. Please provide the class name and course number.
Viterbi IT is opened from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday. If you send in a request after hours or on the weekends, you may not receive a reply until the offices are opened. Viterbi IT will only be able to help you log onto MyDesktop. Viterbi IT will not be able to help you with computer hardware or software problems.
Instructors, please continue to send the following before the start of the semester to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Class(es) that will need access to the VDI
- Software you will be using
- List of TAs
This will help us to keep track and provide your class with priority access during scheduled class time.